Sunday, December 25, 2005

Christmas Day - Photos and Notes

"Here's the last (and 5th, I hope) photo. This was the party at our
Kabula literacy centre. I think for all the kids, it would have been
the first time they's seen someone dressed up as Santa. Santa isn't
very common here among the poor, and mostly, I would guess that's
because most kids don't find any, nevermind many, gifts under the tree
on Christmas morning. Most probably don't have a tree for that matter."

"Actually, these past few weeks have been kind of difficult for me as
everyone I know, and many people whom I don't know have come to me
asking for a Christmas gift. Each time it happened, I got a bit
grumpier.... thinking to myself, where's the spirit of Christmas? Isn't
it supposed to be about giving rather than receiving? Do I look like
I'm made of money? Where am I supposed to get Christmas gifts for half
the people in town? I always find Christmas hard because of this.
Well... a few days back as Anie and I were tallking together about our
day during our community prayer, it suddenly struck me.... The poor
getting something, getting enough, from those of us who have too much, IS
the REAL Spirit of Christmas! I was the one who wasn't "getting it!"

No comments: