Thursday, December 15, 2005

Christmas in the Philippines




OLM SISTERS AT CARMEN HOUSE - PHILIPPINES. Left to right:
Sr. Anie Montejo (OLM Novice), Sr. Myra Trainor, Sr. Mary Gauthier,
Sr. Christine Gebel, Sr.Margaret Walsh. Note our cactus Christmas tree!

Prayers and best wishes
from Sr. Mary and Sr. Christine
in the Philippines:

May the Christ Child

born into a world of violence

continue to remind us

of God’s loving presence

in our broken world.

Dear Fr. Bob and friends at St. Mary’s Parish (Williamstown),

I would like to send Christmas greetings of Peace to you Fr. Bob and the Parishioners. It is good to celebrate Christmas in the Philippines this year. On Dec. 16th begins - Masses will be celebrated at 4am each day of the novena. It is a Spanish custom that has continued in some parts of the Philippines. I think the 4am was the time the rooster crowed and awakened the people when it was still dark. I don’t think I will hear the call of the rooster this year, at least not every day. I will remember you all with much gratitude as we celebrate the gift of Emmanuel - 'God with us'.

Mary Gauthier OLM.



Dear Fr. Bob and Parishioners of St. Mary's,

It is with much gratitude that I look back on 2005. My two months in Canada were a wonderful time of re-connecting with family and old friends, as well as making new friends. I carried back many good memories of my time in Glengarry, and the sisters in Toronto and the Philippines asked loads of questions and listened eagerly to my stories which in turn prompted them to remember and re-tell many of their own memories of our early days. I managed to get back into the swing-of-things very quickly here, and there's always something interesting to do. Now that Christmas is upon us, people are making a great effort to celebrate despite the fact that times are the hardest I've ever seen. Yesterday (December 11) we held a party at our house for some friends and the OLM Associates (a group of lay people who wish to share some aspects of our life and charism without living in community or becoming a religious) - attached are some photos of the party. (see picture at top)

Prayers and good wishes for a joyful Christmas and a blessed New Year! Peace, Christine Gebel OLM

No comments: